So, in the following, we review the sizes and formats of photographs currently in force on the main social platforms.
What steps should you consider if you want to post photos on Facebook? Attention to this review that we do:
- Profile photo: Your Page’s profile picture will be displayed in square format. Its measurements are 170 × 170 pixels for the computer. On smartphones, it will show it in 128 × 128 px.
- Cover photo: 720 x 315 pixels is the recommended size. With respect to the Facebook cover photo, it will be displayed with 820 x 312-pixel measurements (width and height, respectively) on the computer, and 640 x 360 pixels for mobile devices, both for personal profiles and for business pages.
- Cover video: The recommended size to upload a video to the Facebook cover is 1250 x 312 pixels and a duration of between 20-90 seconds.
- Facebook Event Cover: Measurements will be 1000 x 524 pixels.
Publishing images: For shared images, they must be 1200 x 630 px. If this is the image that accompanies a shared link, the recommended size is 1200 x 630 px. Other image formats for Facebook posts are:
- Video: 1080 x 1080 px.
- Stories: 1080 x 1920 px.
If we talk about photography, the first social network that is likely to come to mind is Instagram. The platform, which continues to grow like foam, currently optimizes and automatically optimizes the size of the images. However, it is not necessary to know the measures stipulated for this purpose.
- Profile photo: The recommended size is at least 110 x 110pixels. It doesn’t mean you need to raise it to that size, it’s a good idea to have higher resolution. Remember that photos are displayed in a circular form.
- Square photo: 1080 × 1080 pixels is recommended, and the maximum allowed size is 2080 x 2080 pixels. Although they will appear in size 510 x 510 px in the feed.
- Vertical photo: 1080 x 1350 pixels.
- Horizontal photo: 1080 × 566 pixels (566 px maximum so that the image does not cut).
- Size for Instagram Stories (photo): 1080 x 1920 pixels is stipulated, although these images depend on the device on which it is displayed (each story one adapts to the resolution of the device).
- Video Size: On Instagram, they must have a maximum duration of 60 seconds and measures of 640 x 640 pixels.
- IGTV: must have a minimum resolution of 720 px. If it lasts 10 minutes or less, its maximum size should be 650 MB, and those up to 60 minutes, 3.6 GB. Remember that the file format should be MP4, its 420 x 654 px cover image. Finally, keep in mind that the maximum duration of the video, if you upload it from your mobile, will be only 15 minutes.
Images may also be of interest on more professional profile social networks like Linkedin. Here are the steps to keep in mind:
- Profile photo: 400 × 400 pixels, taking into account a minimum dimension of 130×130 pixels.
- Header size for profiles : 1584 × 396 pixels.
- Enterprise logo size : 300×300 pixels.
- Cover photo size for business pages : Recommended size is 1536 × 768 pixels.
- Post image : 520 x 320 pixels.
- Post with link: In this case the images to be used must have 520 x 272 pixels.
- Images for sponsored content: 1200 x 627 px.
Like Instagram, Pinterest is a very visual social network. That’s why you need to know what the measurements are for the photos on this platform:
- Profile Picture: The stipulation is to raise it to a size of 165 x 165 pixels.
- Cover image: Pinterest recommends an image with an aspect ratio of 16:9 and 800 x 450 px.
- Pins: The pin size should be 600 x 900 px, with an aspect ratio of 2:3.
- Dashboard image. Must be 200 x 200 pixels.
An image tweet gets a much higher level of interaction than one that only has text, so you’ll be interested to know what measures to use for your best viewing:
- Profile photo: You must measure 400 × 400 pixels (or 200 x 200) and have a weight limit of 2MB.
- Cover photo: 1500 × 500 pixels (or 1024 x 280) wide and high respectively, and a maximum image weight of 5MB.
- Image Tweets: 1024 x 512 px (maximum weight of 5MB . Jpg. PNG and GIF).
- Tweet with image and link: minimum size 600 × 335 px. It is recommended that the image be at least 600 px wide.
- Tweet Card: 800 x 800 pixels,for square size, and 800 x 418 px, to display a horizontal image.
On Youtube you can also adapt a profile picture to the measures stipulated for this purpose. These are:
- Profile photo : 800 x 800 pixels and 4 MB maximum. It can be in JPG, GIF (non-animated), BMP or PNG format.
- Cover photo: Recommended size is 2560 × 1440 pixels, and a maximum size of 6 MB.
- YouTube thumbnail size: 1280 × 720 pixels. The minimum width is 640 px and the weight limit is 2 MB.
- Ads: in video format the stipulated size is 1920 x 1080 px; a horizontal ad for the screen would be 300 x 600 px.
- Image of the watermark of the videos: Youtube recommends uploading a minimum image of 150 × 150 px, in JPEG, PNG, GIF (non-animated) or BMP and 1 MB maximum.
- Videos: As with images, YouTube recommends that the videos you upload should be at the highest possible resolution, i.e. at least 1280 x 720 px.
And so far our post on the most suitable sizes for social media images. Did you find that helpful? Now that you know what specifications they should have, what are you waiting for to update your accounts?